Recent Active Topics

Post and comment count Date Latest Comment Author Title or First Words
Infrequently Asked Questions (1) 2019/02/23 oh my god it's turpentine A woman told a story about hearing voices cuz she wanted to kill her mother cuz she was a bitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyL0jjI93OI
Open Discussion (822) 2019/02/23 Anonymous [image] The trash study link: https://www.gwern.net/docs/genetics/heritable/2019-lakhani.pdf
Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings (55) 2019/02/19 Anne B I saw this Valentine's "joke": > Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering that she looks like a trout. For women, this pulls strings of *it's important that men love you and the way to get them to love you
Submit Podcast Questions (47) 2019/02/17 curi > Why pajamas have stripes? I don't know.
Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help (12) 2019/02/08 Anonymous > If the fundamental problem is people are bad at learning and therefore bad at learning to learn, why is it a big difference to get paid help? The blog post covers differences. You don't understand and ask about differences without specifics (
How Badly Run Are Cryptocurrency Exchanges? (4) 2019/02/06 Anonymous > I find it weird that he's a visitor (probably an infrequent one) telling a blog author to fuck off from the author's own site. Yeah that is weird
Hardness, Emotions, Mental Automation (4) 2019/02/05 curi Today's twitch vod is mostly just Ein Lacher (solos trying to get hit 3 times or fewer). I spent a long time doing Lionotus on staff then did a bunch pretty quickly on Fiona then did Weeping Queen with staff and needed like 6 retries. Also I topped da
Method Of Doing Things Soon (1) 2019/02/04 curi Note you can trivially change the timeline while keeping the proportions the same. E.g. double, triple or 10x the amounts of time for bigger projects. The 3 phases and 80%s stay the same. The first two phases are the same length and the third phase is
12 Rules for Life Typos in Rule 1 (4) 2019/02/03 DW H Another :)
Judging Experts by the Objective State of the Debate (3) 2019/02/03 DeRoj #11769 Thank you, Curi. Much appreciated.

Recent Individual Comments

(Get notified of new comments with the Comments RSS Feed. You can also use website change notification software or an auto refresh browser plugin.)

Title or First Words Author Post Date
A woman told a story about hearing voices cuz she wanted to kill her mother cuz she was a bitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyL0jjI93OI oh my god it's turpentine Infrequently Asked Questions 2019/02/23
[image] The trash study link: https://www.gwern.net/docs/genetics/heritable/2019-lakhani.pdf Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/23
https://slatestarcodex.com/2019/02/22/rip-culture-war-thread/#comment-723448 [image] If the thing that ended what he feared is capitalism, why is he on a lefty-blog that censors right wing ideas? (He Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/22
[image] twitter is so fucking bad. i was trying to find the pacifist run link but only saw one link, and the preview indicated that link was the 0 pause one. turns out the visible text link is the pac Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/22
People put all their forgetting in all the wrong places. They should forget what other people think instead of what they think. curi Open Discussion 2019/02/21
[image] They like universities so much they want to pretend to be one. jfc Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/20
> Reporters are just lazy. Some laziness, but also a lot of partisan bias. Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/20
a corrupt socialist?! Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/20
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2019-02-20.html > The bill President Trump signed last Friday is worse than anything Hillary could ever have gotten through Congress. Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/20
https://www.csoonline.com/article/3336227/security/nest-secure-had-a-secret-microphone-can-now-be-a-google-assistant.html > Nest Secure had a secret microphone, can now be a Google Assistant > The Nest Secure system had secret microphone that ca Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/19
Teachers also frequently do try to be fair. But it's weird. They are like "I don't want to give away too much, I don't want to be too helpful, that'd make the test too easy." They sort of try to strike an arbitrary compromise between making their teac Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/19
[image] Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/19
Wobbling is a bug because it is *not intended by the game designers*. The code doesn't do what they want. If they knew that would or could happen, they would have forced a grab release after 10 seconds or something else to prevent the infinite. Whethe Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/19
I saw this Valentine's "joke": > Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering that she looks like a trout. For women, this pulls strings of *it's important that men love you and the way to get them to love you Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/19
Good points that I agree with: - aesthetics aren't the only issue with wobbling - wobbling could be banned in an objective way with a patch - wobbling affects game balance for players at low and medium skill levels (who comprise the majority Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/19
> aesthetically undesirable straw man. it's strategically undesirable too. bad game design (though of course it wasn't game design, it's a bug). > There is no clear line where you begin to do [it]. that would be solvable by adding an option Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/18
ph00tbag smashboards post against banning wobbling Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/18
Wobbles' smashboards post against banning wobbling (2013) Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/18
Armada is against banning wobbling Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/18
Wobbling banned in Melee at GOML 2019 Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/18
Apple's management doesn't want Nvidia support in macOS, and that's a bad sign for the Mac Pro https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01/18/apples-management-doesnt-want-nvidia-support-in-macos-and-thats-a-bad-sign-for-the-mac-pro via Instapaper > Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/18
Exposing Shallowness https://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_direct_link.cfm?blog_id=66727 via Instapaper > “What makes individuals choose to undergo the painful, expensive, and virtually irrevocable process of tattooing? Having listened to an un Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/18
Nice example of how people put superficial symbols / rituals of affection over actual achievements like being a real parent https://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_direct_link.cfm?blog_id=66727 > I was recently consulted in the prison in which I Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/18
#11853 Trump has control over who he hires. he's allowed MAGA type people to be pushed out or fired them himself (Bannon, Gorka, Sessions) and let the establishment people take over. he's also failed to achieve major campaign promises (WALL, repealing Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/17
I replied to Horowitz: If I were president, I would have hired you. Trump didn't. He surrounded himself with people who dislike the MAGA movement, and he naively thought the swamp (both dem and GOP) would be reasonable. And he didn't prioritize the curi Open Discussion 2019/02/17
[image] [image] I'm more inclined to agree with Cernovich. Anyone agree with Horowitz? Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/17
> Why pajamas have stripes? I don't know. curi Submit Podcast Questions 2019/02/17
Why pajamas have stripes? Anonymous Submit Podcast Questions 2019/02/17
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beefsteak_Nazi >As a former Marxist in his early years, Goebbels once stated "how thin the dividing line" was between communism and National Socialism, which had caused many Red Front Fighters to "switch to the SA".[15 Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/17
Lefties up until not that long ago considered NYC's transit system a model that other cities in the country should follow. how is it nowadays? http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thread_id=4203101&forum_id=2#37793755 > Date: February 16th, 201 Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/17
Leonard Peikoff in his course on logic, lecture 2: > No one could classify all possible kinds of errors and fallacies that human beings engage in and there would be no point in any such exhaustive classification. So, some errors have no particular Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/15
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/immigration-landmines-in-the-funding-bill/ Immigration Landmines in the Funding Bill Mark Krikorian The text of the funding bill was released last night/this morning, and lawmakers are expected to vote on t Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/14
[image] It continues to look grim. Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/14
A store named something like “Tony's Famous Pizza” is pulling strings with the word Famous, even though people sort of know that the place might not actually be more well known than other pizza places. “Famous” pulls the string of *lots of Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/13
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/reviewedcom/2019/02/07/gifts-women-actually-valentines-day-2019/2793719002/ > Champagne or wine: Go to a liquor store. Grab some alcohol. Pay. Leave store. > > Flowers: Go to Trader Joe's OR a local florist. B Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/13
I saw a product in a store called Muscle Milk. It was a non-dairy protein shake. The product looks milk-like but I think they used the word "Milk" in their title to pull strings of *healthy and strong*, which are things that past milk advertising has Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/13
a xoxo post about how news that the Senate found no collusion between Trump and Russia will play out http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thread_id=4200269&forum_id=2#37770711 Date: February 12th, 2019 2:44 PM Author: Muscadine wine Here's Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/12
[image] Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/12
> i was looking for examples of libertarians engaging in rationalism and specifically applying the NAP in silly ways. i thought the survey results indicated some people doing that. that is what you should say along with the link. that's a huge amou Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/12
[image] Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/12
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/02/11/amy-klobuchar-trolls-hillary-there-wasnt-a-lot-of-campaigning-in-wisconsin-in-2016/ Title: > Amy Klobuchar Trolls Hillary: ‘There Wasn’t a Lot of Campaigning in Wisconsin in 2016’ The article Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/12
> Racism as a concept is more of an example of puppet string *creation*. You're explaining a category of strings that are attached to people. > > Pulling a string would be like a particular tweet that brings up race to manipulate its audience. Ah Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/12
> Also you omitted any statement of what you think, presumably to evade the possibility of criticism (ineffectively since I just criticized the method itself). this is what i had written as commentary before posting the quotes from survey: There Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/11
>> The questions asked were, 1) Would you cross the lawn and help the child? And 2) Would helping the child violate the parents’ rights? > Terrible survey design. I would not cross the lawn and help the child. Because, duh, *I'm not a cop*. I'd c Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/11
Racism as a concept is more of an example of puppet string *creation*. You're explaining a category of strings that are attached to people. Pulling a string would be like a particular tweet that brings up race to manipulate its audience. Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/11
> The questions asked were, 1) Would you cross the lawn and help the child? And 2) Would helping the child violate the parents’ rights? Terrible survey design. I would not cross the lawn and help the child. Because, duh, *I'm not a cop*. I'd call Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/11
last post should have had some [...] to indicate omitted text, my bad Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/11
Libertarian Survey Results Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/11
Racism is an example of puppet-string-pulling. From a young age we absorb racial stereotypes that are part of our culture. Most people consciously want to be non-racist. But our culture keeps influencing how we see people of different races and we hav Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/11
[image] Why is Ted Cruz praising lies and lip service? He's made himself a dupe of such obvious, superficial faking. Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/11
Lefties talk about "emotional labor" a lot. Seems like a bad concept to me Labor involves performing work -- doing something in the world. Having an emotional experience isn't performing work Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/11
People say "I can't believe [X] has died" when X was an old person and the person making the statement clearly believes the death has occurred. So they say something that's not true. I think they do this cuz demonstrating a certain level of shock a Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/10
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_MacArthur#Escape_to_Australia_and_Medal_of_Honor >In February 1942, as Japanese forces tightened their grip on the Philippines, MacArthur was ordered by President Roosevelt to relocate to Australia.[148] On the Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/10
When you defend against a flame, you are acting like the person meant the flame. Better to just pretend they didn't mean. View reality a particular way (a framing) that's good for you and stick to it no matter what and lots of weaker ppl will see thin Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/10
Seagull was an early, popular Overwatch streamer. he played pro, and was good, but chose to quit to stream more. he is streaming Apex Legends today, the new pubg/fortnite copy from EA that spent a lot of marketing dollars getting streamers/youtubers/i Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/10
an overwatch caster just said “the ray of hope is gone” which is cliche. the co-caster said “it’s gone”. he played the role of an echo. taking what the other guy said and agreeing/amplifying is really really common and doesn’t add anything Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/10
#11821 Those are good. If you practice this a lot, you may be able to automate it some, so that you can notice things like that in all conversations without actively trying to. That's what it takes to be able to deal with this stuff effectively in dai Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/10
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/podcasts/the-daily/taliban-afghanistan-peace-deal.html I noticed some things that the host, Michael Barbaro, does to pull the audience's strings of *this guy is thoughtfully listening to the neutral facts and draw Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/10
https://abc7chicago.com/5127392/ >> Supporters say people could use the extra cash to cover unexpected emergencies, increase their savings and improve their *health*. > Emphasis added. Chicago wants to give people $1000/month for free at taxpay Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/08
https://abc7chicago.com/5127392/ > Supporters say people could use the extra cash to cover unexpected emergencies, increase their savings and improve their *health*. Emphasis added. Chicago wants to give people $1000/month for free at taxpayer e Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/08
> Amazon sells a lot of things they label as AmazonBasics. This label pulls strings of *frugal, sensible people buy this and I want to be a frugal, sensible person* and *I must need this thing because it's a basic thing and everyone needs the basics*. Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/08
#11815 "increased risk" means there was a weak correlation in some bullshit study. Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/08
Amazon sells a lot of things they label as AmazonBasics. This label pulls strings of *frugal, sensible people buy this and I want to be a frugal, sensible person* and *I must need this thing because it's a basic thing and everyone needs the basics*. Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/08
https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2019A/bills/2019a_1032_01.pdf > (b) Sexual assault, interpersonal violence, and bullying are pervasive and serious public health concerns, placing impacted youth at increased risk for uninten Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/08
> If the fundamental problem is people are bad at learning and therefore bad at learning to learn, why is it a big difference to get paid help? The blog post covers differences. You don't understand and ask about differences without specifics ( Anonymous Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/02/08
#11812 I thought it was pretty good. Didn't read all the points. I thought it under-explained stuff a lot. Too abbreviated, not enough clarity and help for the reader. I especially disliked the repeated use of fancy italic terms and the reliance on th curi Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/08
https://www.epsilontheory.com/all-along-the-watchtower/ I thought this was a good example of someone outside the FI community doing an analysis of puppet-string pulling. In this case, it's an analysis of NPR's "fact check" of Trump's 2019 State of PAS Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/08
Why Amazon banning powerpoint in favor of memos Alisa Open Discussion 2019/02/08
https://twitter.com/thecalebbond/status/1091326743292534785?s=21 Great cross examination of a leftie lying about Venezuela sanctions Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/08
http://stonetoss.com/comic/balanced-breakfast/ [image] Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/08
#11805 I think I’m a great test case. I’ve been stuck for years and I hired Elliot (for email) and Ingracke (for calls and emails) and it’s been immensely helpful to the point that I’m no longer stuck and I’m making progress! One GISTE Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/02/07
>> People overrate licking cooking spoons, pots, etc, b/c that's their first taste of the food which is generally better than later tastes. > Why do you call that overrating if that first taste really does taste better? Did you try to figure out Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/07
For a lot of cultural memes, like the things in this thread, I am partially consciously aware of them while at the same time being in the grip of them. Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/07
Any examples of people who have been helped by this kind of attention? Testimonials? If the fundamental problem is people are bad at learning and therefore bad at learning to learn, why is it a big difference to get paid help? Anonymous Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/02/07
Facebook keeps trying to show me a video about my friendships. > Together in Friendship > > Friendship is all about the moments we share together. This Friends Day, take a look back on the memories you've made with the friends in your life. I Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/07
> Marital fighting is funny? its interesting to see how the culture has changed and how it hasn't. Wikipedia entry on the old TV show The Honeymooners: >Alice (née Alice Gibson), played in the first nine skits, starting in 1951, and ending in J Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/07
> People overrate licking cooking spoons, pots, etc, b/c that's their first taste of the food which is generally better than later tastes. Why do you call that overrating if that first taste really does taste better? Anonymous 2 Open Discussion 2019/02/07
People overrate licking cooking spoons, pots, etc, b/c that's their first taste of the food which is generally better than later tastes. Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/06
[image] Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/06
>At the same time they were meddling with the clocks, the French instituted a decimal calendar. This lasted a little longer, since it was forced by nature to make some concessions to real life. A year has 365 and a quarter days, give or take an hour, Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/06
Marital fighting is funny? [image] Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/06
> I find it weird that he's a visitor (probably an infrequent one) telling a blog author to fuck off from the author's own site. Yeah that is weird Anonymous How Badly Run Are Cryptocurrency Exchanges? 2019/02/06
I find it weird that he's a visitor (probably an infrequent one) telling a blog author to fuck off from the author's own site. Anonymous How Badly Run Are Cryptocurrency Exchanges? 2019/02/06
#11794 Do you have an argument against the position expressed in this post, or are you just virtue signalling in support of cryptocurrency? oh my god it's turpentine How Badly Run Are Cryptocurrency Exchanges? 2019/02/06
fuck off crypto sceptic Anonymous How Badly Run Are Cryptocurrency Exchanges? 2019/02/06
Jordan Peterson is now selling a *private* discussion forum bundled with some other things. https://www.jbpdaily.com There is no info about the forum. What software does it use? What does it look like? How does moderation work? Absolutely zero i curi Open Discussion 2019/02/05
> Related story: Blizzard made all the Overwatch league players get rid of Pepe emotes from their social media. [image] Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/05
> Black and white photo. Plaid scarf. I think those hint at intelligence in our culture's eyes. I think people can imagine a professor or a person from Boston wearing that scarf. (Warning/disclaimer: I'm pretty bad at this kinda cultural trivia.) B oh my god it's turpentine Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/05
> I think she's trying to look intelligent but I don't know why I think that. Black and white photo. Plaid scarf. I think those hint at intelligence in our culture's eyes. I think people can imagine a professor or a person from Boston wearing that Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/05
#11787 Me on IMs after my friend said a comment partially about that quote, which mentioned personalness sorta indirectly: > tbh the thot that ppl would interpret it as personal had not occurred to me it's so fake. ik. lol sigh. a recent, rea Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/05
Saying she loves coffee implies she is a busy person, and therefore important. She's too busy to get enough sleep so she uses coffee to be alert and focused on her job. Saying she loves chocolate cookies shows that she's not too much of a goody-two Anne B Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/05
> The Rebekka Honeit bio is partly pretending to share some personal info and let you get to know the person more and be more connected with them. I guess this fools the same people who think a Facebook page is real info about what someone's life is l Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/05
The Rebekka Honeit bio is partly pretending to share some personal info and let you get to know the person more and be more connected with them. I guess this fools the same people who think a Facebook page is real info about what someone's life is lik Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/05
> https://ulysses.app/blog/2019/02/preview-15-split-view/ > [image] > That's an example of puppet string pulling. That is there to manipulate people. > Examples are everywhere. Post a few dozen if you care to understand this and be manipulate Anonymous Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/05
https://ulysses.app/blog/2019/02/preview-15-split-view/ [image] That's an example of puppet string pulling. That is there to manipulate people. Examples are everywhere. Post a few dozen if you care curi Analyzing How Culture Manipulates You by Pulling Your Puppet Strings 2019/02/05
Today's twitch vod is mostly just Ein Lacher (solos trying to get hit 3 times or fewer). I spent a long time doing Lionotus on staff then did a bunch pretty quickly on Fiona then did Weeping Queen with staff and needed like 6 retries. Also I topped da curi Hardness, Emotions, Mental Automation 2019/02/05
Note you can trivially change the timeline while keeping the proportions the same. E.g. double, triple or 10x the amounts of time for bigger projects. The 3 phases and 80%s stay the same. The first two phases are the same length and the third phase is curi Method Of Doing Things Soon 2019/02/04
typo Anonymous Hardness, Emotions, Mental Automation 2019/02/04
There are lots of videos available of me learning Vindictus stuff on my Twitch, e.g.: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/374961367 In this video I practice and gold medal 3 bosses, in addition to playing a bit of other stuff. The first one is a yet curi Hardness, Emotions, Mental Automation 2019/02/04
Kate asked about this post on FI: > I think the meaning of hard/easy used in the statement is the second one, i.e. hard/easy for me (now). > Whether or not something is also considered inherently hard doesn’t matter. The key is whether it’s curi Hardness, Emotions, Mental Automation 2019/02/04
Another :) DW H 12 Rules for Life Typos in Rule 1 2019/02/03
> Most crit rat's on twitter don't reply to or retweet ET. They're silently judging the source but not exposing their judgments to criticism. That's dishonest. And so lacking in guts. Esp. for a crit rat. Ask them about it directly. Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/03
Most crit rat's on twitter don't reply to or retweet ET. They're silently judging the source but not exposing their judgments to criticism. That's dishonest. And so lacking in guts. Esp. for a crit rat. Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/03
[image] Unusually stupid comment from patio11 (the fact people aren't dying does not indicate that regulation is the cause. there are other plausible causes like the companies wanting to stay in business Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/03
#11769 Thank you, Curi. Much appreciated. DeRoj Judging Experts by the Objective State of the Debate 2019/02/03
[image] Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/02
Why Democratic Socialists Support Totalitarian Regimes https://freebeacon.com/national-security/why-democratic-socialists-support-totalitarian-regimes/ via Instapaper > “The last straw for me was personal. I had written four reports on Nicar Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/02
I forwarded 3 posts to FI list today: [image] curi Judging Experts by the Objective State of the Debate 2019/02/02
Dawkins DeRoj Judging Experts by the Objective State of the Debate 2019/02/02
> I'm guessing you have always been pretty good at reason. Do you think DD would have wanted so much interaction with you if you were interested in reason but bad at it? Would you want someone as a best friend who was interested in reason but bad at i curi Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/02/01
> If someone doesn't rapidly become my best friend, that is a sign of there being some problem or limit with their interest in reason. I got thousands of hours of interaction with DD, for free, because interacting with rationality is so desirable and student Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/02/01
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/02/satans-party-dem-virginia-del-kathy-tran-submitted-bill-to-save-cankerworms-on-same-day-as-late-term-abortion-bill/ > Virginia Democrat Kathy Tran Submitted Bill to Save Cankerworms on Same Day She Submitted Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/01
[image] Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/02/01
I forgot to say: also learning lots of common ways people are irrational, lie to themselves, aren't interested in reason, etc. Being familiar with what lots of common failures, lies, memes, social dynamics, etc, look like. Catching other people not be curi Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/02/01
>> People lie to themselves about their interest in reason much more than about how much money they have. That's the one to be more wary of. > How can I tell if I'm lying to myself about my interest in reason? I think I am interested in reason. curi Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/02/01
> People lie to themselves about their interest in reason much more than about how much money they have. That's the one to be more wary of. How can I tell if I'm lying to myself about my interest in reason? I think I am interested in reason. student Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/02/01
It depends. But basically if someone wants it and can afford it, I think it's a great value and a big help. Wanting this kind of help is the biggest bottleneck. It's hard to help people who don't want my help. And most people don't want help becaus curi Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/01/31
> Intellectual progress is hard and finding ways to throw money at the problem can be good. I know this a difficult question to answer: How much easier is intellectual progress if someone pays you for consulting? That is, if someone paid you lots o student Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/01/31
#11757 They could write down what they're doing or what they think their path is. Then critically analyze it and ask others for criticism. A general indication is how involved they are in philosophy discussion, and how productive that is. If not Anonymous Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/01/30
> The FI group is about reason and intellectual progress. To use it well requires being good at those things or being on a path to get good at them. How could someone tell if they are on a path to get good at reason and intellectual progress? Ho student Differences Between My Free Resources and Paid Help 2019/01/30
[image] Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/01/29
Following a suggestion, I changed a*(-1) to 0-a in the recursive example so that it isn't using a built in multiplication function. curi Structural Epistemology Introduction Part 1 2019/01/29
[image] Ben Shapiro is a socialism-sympathizing idiot. Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/01/29
mind = factory. mostly automated (at least from CEO’s perspective. nvm if the work stations have workers or robots) consciousness = a manager who can go around to one work station at a time and tell them to change stuff or watch what they’re do Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/01/29
https://www.dailywire.com/news/42751/high-school-students-disqualified-debate-after-ashe-schow > High School Students Disqualified From Debate After Quoting Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson > A pair of Utah high school seniors lost a debate round be Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/01/28
[image] Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/01/28
#11739 The phrase "acts like a wave" is a floating abstraction that you are using to obscure the fact that you have no account of what is happening in single particle interference. The reality is that multiple versions of a photon go down all of the p oh my god it's turpentine Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/28
He's written plenty of books since 1991 e.g., "Darwin's Dangerous Idea", "Freedom Evolves". Check out his wiki. His most recent is "From Bacteria To Bach and Back: The Evolution of Minds" from 2017. That latest book has his most recent ideas but I've Anonymous Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/28
The meme king hasn't had anything to say besides part of one book from 1991? No articles with new ideas? Seems damning. I just read a little of the book and got bored. Is there a passage you think would offer value to me? curi Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/28
Maybe "Consciousness Explained"? Except it's not an article. But if you search for "consciousness explained pdf" you should be able to download a pdf then just cruise through the meme stuff. Deutsch ignored it and focused on Blackmore instead but Denn Anonymous Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/28
Oh, I missed that when skimming. That's alright then. I still dislike the style and the Diamond praise. Is there an article you think is worth reading? curi Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/28
> He goes on to talk about memes as basically mind-parasites as if good ideas don't also replicate. I don't think he is saying all memes are basically mind-parasites. He's making an analogy with symbionts and says there are three types of memes: Anonymous Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/28
Someone took notes on BoI: https://innovationmemes.blogspot.com/2015/02/beginning-of-infinity-table-of-contents.html Note there are links to additional notes for some sections. curi Open Discussion 2019/01/28
I agree Dennett's silence re DD's meme work is a major concern. But OK let's take a look. I didn't want to watch a video so I found this: https://ase.tufts.edu/cogstud/dennett/papers/MEMEMYTH.FIN.htm First paragraph was bad, e.g. didn't say w curi Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/28
#11741 was in reply to #11733 Anonymous Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/27
Nah - I'm not gonna defend Blackmore or Dennett. I agree Deutsch has done better work. Perhaps I don't see them as bad as you do and that is my mistake. I'm thinking more of Dennett than Blackmore. I know Dennett has some bad leftwing political views Anonymous Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/27
There is no refutation of that view, and there are no other known non-refuted views. This is covered in FoR ch2. Note that "parallel universes" is a high level approximation. The actual underlying issue is reality has more complexity than is readil curi Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/27
So just because in a lab experiment a single photon still acts like a wave you think the only possible explanation is that an infinity of parallel universes exist Anonymous Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/27
#11737 Yes. This question is hard to respond to because it doesn't say what it objects to, what problem it wants addressed. If it's coming from a place of unfamiliarity with MWI then I recommend reading DD's explanations of MWI in his books, especiall curi Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/27
Do you really believe DDs theory of multiple universes is compatible with the concept of objective reality? Anonymous Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/27
The Age of Rage - Law & Liberty https://www.lawliberty.org/2017/03/15/the-age-of-rage/ via Instapaper > “The judge did not in the slightest exonerate the rapist in this case. We “must not put responsibility on them [women] rather than the per Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/01/27
#11734 forgot to quote this, my bad Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/01/26
Date: January 26th, 2019 2:25 PM Author: Hula Hula Boys (Dr. Thunder) it's a sign of the times. more than almost anything, people innately crave an IDENTITY. this is why young people with no direction and few friends often turn to gangs, cults, a Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/01/26
I don't think Blackmore or Dennett's work on memes is any good. If you disagree you should use quotes or otherwise bring up details and specific sophisticated points. curi Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/26
Dan Dennett has also taken the idea of memes seriously and has written about them in a number of books. In "Consciousness Explained" he proposed that "[h]uman consciousness can be realized in the operation of a virtual machine created by memes in the Anonymous Submit Podcast Questions 2019/01/26
Re: #11730 the top of this post should say "I replied:", weird typo there Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/01/26
#11728 i repledt > It's legal in that I wouldn't have gone to jail You are confused about the definition of "legal." Legal means "permitted by law" (source: Google, and also i am a lawyer). Imprisonment is a *punishment* for *certain* viol Justin Mallone, wearing his lawyer hat Open Discussion 2019/01/26
#11728 The guy explained the situation: > It's legal in that I wouldn't have gone to jail. It's theft because the money isn't mine. I would have stolen it. Long story short, I know the vice president of a bank and he put my house on an unsecured n PAS Open Discussion 2019/01/26
I debated a bit about doing 100k favors for banks being moral and Objectivist(!?) https://www.reddit.com/r/aynrand/comments/ajvdzp/moral_grayness/ curi Open Discussion 2019/01/26
https://www.reddit.com/r/Objectivism/comments/afkv1k/where_do_i_start/edzk2ee/ Anonymous Open Discussion 2019/01/25

View All Comments